Don’t miss out on this rare opportunity to watch many great African films (some new and some old). The Film Society of MSP-St. Paul film has put together a pretty decent list of 27 films and documentaries for the African Film Series that will run Nov 15th – 21st. I am sure some of you will watch ALL the films, but if you have to pick and chose here are my top 5 recommendations.
- “Mother of George” by Nigerian director Andrew Dosunmu of “Restless City” fame. Dosunmu will be in attendance.
- “The Square” by Egyptian American director Jehane Noujaim, which chronicles personal stories behind the Egyptian revolution. Word has it that this is a serious potential Oscar Award contender.
- “Broken Dreams” documentary on the disappearance of Somali men from Minnesota. This is Somali director Fathia Absie’s debut and she will be in attendance
- “Remembering Nokutela” world premiere directed by Carleton College professor Cherif Keita.
- “Something Necessary” by Kenyan director Judy Kibinge , which is the story of 2 Kenyans’ struggles in the aftermath of the 2007 electoral violence
The full schedule and details on pricing and screening locations can be found here.