As we say goodbye to 2008 , here’s a recap of some of the events that rocked the African Community in Minnesota.
- For Kenyans, the year started off pretty badly as their home country was marred by the worst violence in her history following elections at the end of December. In January Demonstrators braved sub-zero temps to rally against the violence at the State Capitol. Read more here.
- Also in January, Grammy Award-winning Beninese singer-songwriter, Angelique Kidjo, kicked off her US 2008 tour at a packed St. Paul’s Ordway Center. Read the review here.
- Despite the controversy surrounding his visit Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, graced us all with his presence at the Minneapolis Convention Center in April. Read more here.
- In June the Liberian Truth and Reconciliation Commision held historic public hearings in St. Paul to document the public testimonies of Liberians in the U.S. Read more here.
- In August we had two huge African festivals one week ofter the other, first was the Pan-African Festival (which featured Somali sensation K’naan) after which came Afrifest, in its second year.
- In October MinneAfrica was launched yay! (just had to throw that in 🙂 ).
- In November Obama won the historic election and Africans took to the streets rejoicing. See pictures here.
- The deaths of Somali youth brought to light the escalating violence in the community . The violence coupled with the claims of terrorist cells has resulted in negative press and increased hate attacks on the community.
As far as MinneAfrica goes these are the top ten articles with the most views;
- Former TV intern Jennifer Anato-Mensah causes chaos after being fired.
- Alan Keyes wants Obama’s Birth Certificate: Now!
- A young African life lost in accidental shooting.
- Kenya: Obama’s ‘dead-beat’ dad.
- Is Africa and Africans Cursed?
- Somali Piracy: When the poor (and abused) fight back.
- African seeking AIM?
- Africans In Minnesota Happy Hour
- Election Night Parties in MN
- What About Sex?
What were your most memorable moments of 2008?