After the last long weekend, another one’s here. I’ve changed the structure of the TGIF list, I will put events under different categories so that it’s easier to locate the type of events you are interested in as opposed to going through what sometimes can be a very long list. Hope this helps.
- Saturday will be Minnesota’s 5th Annual World AIDS Day event. “Stop AIDS, Keep The PROMISE” will bring diverse communities of African immigrants in the Twin Cities together to promote awareness about HIV/AIDS. It’s FREE and open to the public. Join in the fight against this epidemic LOCALLY! Call (612)821-6127 for more info.
- If you enjoy Ibe’s writing on MinneAfrica, consider attending the (re)release of his book, “Bridge Across the Atlantic” tomorrow. For more information read A Poetic Invitiation.
- Here’s another book release on Saturday. Linius Publishing Presents An Exclusive Evening With Author Emmanuel C. Ezike II for the Release of “Coming From Liberia”. The event will take place at View Restaurant & Lounge, 2730 West Lake Street, Minneapolis, MN 55416 from 6 – 8.30pm . Book is available online via
- The Macalester African Music Ensemble invites you to attend their Annual Fall Concert, which will be taking place on Saturday from 8 – 10pm at the Concert Hall in the Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center. It’s FREE and I have heard many good things about the past concerts.
- On Saturday visit the MIA’s African art cart from 2 – 4pm and discover objects for daily use and regalia fit for a king from the diverse continent of Africa. Learn about masquerade and divination, as well as customs for settling disputes and initiating young men and women into the community.
- Check out the ongoing exhibition at the MIA. Outside Influences: Jack Lenor Larsen and African Aesthetics features an awesome fabric collection based on the designs, colors, and aesthetics of African cultures. It runs through January 25th 2009 in Gallery 279.
- Ever considered acting? Pangea World Theatre will on Dec 13th & 14th be having auditions for Mar 12-29 production of Conference of the Birds, to be directed by Artistic Director Dipankar Mukherjee. Please call or email Katie Herron at 612-822-0015 x1 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an audition time.
- Brikti Hiwet will be selling her One of a Kind Jewelry as well as scarves from Ethiopia and India on Dec 6th from 1 – 4pm at the Holiday Bazaar at 5216 Park Ave. S. Minneapolis. A hundred percent of the proceeds from the sell of the scarves will go to a family in Ethiopia.
- The highly anticipated St. Cloud African Night ’08 “Ije: Journey through Africa”, will be happening tomorrow from 5 to 9pm at the Atwood Ballroom.
- The U of M Alpha fraternity will be having a “PHINAL EXAM‘ party at the Blue Nile tonight starting at 9pm. Call (651)500-0915 for more info.
- On Saturday, Kilimanjaro Entertainment will be having their monthly “WACHILIA” party also at the Blue Nile featuring a mix of the latest African beats.
- The U of M Ques fraternity will be having an “Ultimate Victory” party at Coffman Memorial Union on Saturday. Call (612)251-7446 for more info.
- Carribean duo, Diamond Don Sound will be hosting ‘To Di World” at Visage’s Rosewood Room. The night will feature the popular Killa Face Sound Station and Sudanese artist, Dynamiq among many others.
- Dj Hustla wants to remind you that Sunday night is always “Reggae Vibrations” night at the Lounge.
Enjoy your weekend 🙂