Tomorrow, Dec 1st, is World AIDS Day, for Africans this should be especially important given the impact the disease has had and continues to have on the continent. I conducted an ‘unscientific’ poll with of my African friends and ALL of them know at least one person that has died from AIDS. Here’s a list of some of the numerous events that will be taking place in various places. Most notable is this year’s 5th Annual African World AIDS Day Event. Hope you get to attend at least one.
- Starbucks is going (RED) for World AIDS Day. In support of World AIDS Day. Starbucks is giving 5¢ to the Global Fund for every hand-crafted Starbucks beverage sold on December 1, 2008 at participating US and Canada locations.* (Hand-crafted means that drinks from vending machines or bottled drinks don’t count.) As of right now, their facebook event has 626,523 confirmed participants.
- Shades of Red, a coalition of student groups at the U of MN twin cities campus, will be hosting a RED REVOLUTION, to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS all this week. on Dec 1st they have the Red Kickoff in the presidents’ room from 5-7 pm and then Voices Merging from 8-10pm at Moos Tower.
- The U of MN’s African Student Association will also be hosting two events this World AIDS Day. On Dec 1st they will have a World’s Day Candle Vigil from 6pm in front of Coffman Memorial Union and on Dec 2nd they will have a Benefit Dinner in Coffman from 6pm featuring spoken word artist Ibe, poet Martha and Kevin Winge.
- At 7pm on Dec 1st, Macalester’s Afrika! will be hosting a Forum on the Social Impact of Malaria and HIV/AIDs in Sub-Saharan Africa in the John B. Davis lecture Hall.
- On December 2nd Shades of Red’s RED REVOLUTION will present The Global Epidemic of HIV: Successes and Challenges at noon in Moos Tower and Women with HIV/AIDS from 6-8pm at the St. Paul Student Center.
- The RED REVOLUTION will feature a Red Carnival on Dec 3rd in the Centennial Hall Basement.
- On Dec 4th the RED REVOLUTION will close it’s week’s activities with the A Closer Walk: Global HIV/AIDS at the St. Paul Student Center from from 5:30-7:30pm .
- On Saturday Dec 6th, the 5th Annual African World AIDS Day (AWAD) will be hosted at the South High School Auditorium from 1-4pm. “African residents representing several African nations will be enjoined in a unified World AIDS Day commemoration to raise awareness about the impact HIV and AIDS has had on Africans living here and in their respective countries. African physicians, community leaders and survivors will provide educational presentations. Performers, exhibitors and culturally specific foods will also be a part of the observance including a performance by Munnah LIB Princess.”
- Also on Saturday Dec 6th and Dec 18th, The Minnapolis Urban League will be sponsoring an African Wellness Program for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis & Substance Abuse Community Training and Free HIV and Hepatitis Testing. The male group will meet on Dec 6th and the female group on Dec 18th at the Abubakar Sadik Mosque Center. For more info contact Abdullahi Sheikh, Minneapolis Urban League, (612) 302-3118, or by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The Minnesota Department of Health has put together a great calendar of events for World AIDS Day and sites for free STD and HIV/AIDS testing, make sure you check it out here.
Also read a previous post (link here) by MinneAfrican Yeahmeah.