While Thanksgiving is not a tradition to Africans, it is a great opportunity to take some time off and relax. Looking. You might want be thinking about attending a Turkey day party, give thanks by giving back or staying in doors. Whatever the case we have some ideas here if you are still undecided as to what you may want to do. Before I forget, thanks to everyone who participated in the Refugee Clothing Winter Drive, I don’t know how much was donated, but I will notify everyone as soon as I have that info. I also hear that Kingley’s Benefit was a huge success – thanks to all the kind people in Duluth.
Also a reminder; Dec 1st is World AIDS Day and we will be letting you know how and where to get involved with the many World AIDS Day events in MN.
- Tonight Mezesha Entertainment will this year again be hosting “Revolve” The Official Pre-Thanksgiving Party in the twin cities at the Lounge. For those of you who were there last year, you know that Thanksgiving at the Lounge is usually packed so I would urge you to be there early – doors open at 9pm. Revolve Will feature 3 different rooms, 3 different Vybes – Room 1;Carribana, Room 2; Urban City and Room 3;Africana.
- Margretta Getaweh is also having a Pre-Thanksgiving party at Club Arnellias. Come party with the stars of the upcoming movie, “A Dangerous Friend”, and see great performances by G.A.B, G-Rize and featuring Edna “the dance queen”. Drinks special all night. 21 to party. For more info contact 763-232-3874 .
- Another Pre-Thanksgiving Bash hosted by King Lion Sound . Its called Banjuka All Nite Party and will be hosted at 2022 ferry street, north, Anoka. This one’s for the night owls, its going from 10pm to 6am. For more info call 952-250-8005.
- On Friday Twincities Danchehall and Reggae bring you their monthly ENERGIZE party at First Ave VIP Room. Sound of Fujun will be playing his latest Arsenal of dancehall, reggae, hip-hop, rap and R&B hits. For more info call 651-592-7679.
- Also on Friday, you are invited to join Amy and Cindy, the founders of Education for the Future Foundation (EFF), for their Holiday Open House Fundraiser. There will be food and beverages, candle dippin, Kenyan crafts for sale and good company. EFF has done a lot of good work providing Secondary School Sponsorships to poor and deserving students in Kenya – come out and support. Time: 12pm-10pm, Where: The Gallaher Home, 2009 Herschel St, Roseville, MN 55113. Call Amy 612-207-0637 or Cindy 651-646-5994, for more info.
- The Legendary Ethiopian musician, Mahmoud Ahmed ends his US tour here on Saturday at the Bloomington Holiday Inn, 3 Appletree Square. The event is hosted by Solo Entertainment and starts at 9.30pm and runs til 2am. For more info call 612-743-6114.
- The MN chapter of Sasse Old Boys Association (SOBA) alma mater is having their Annual Fundraising Gala at the Mermaid on Saturday. Dj Moki will be playing zouk, makossa, coupe decale among others. Event starts at 9pm. The MN chapter has been around for more than 15 years and have helped with developing the infrastructure of the school, which was funded in 1939. For more info contact Celestine 763-228-4255.
- On Sunday tour the MIA’s African gallery and discover objects for daily use and regalia fit for a king from the diverse continent of Africa. Learn about masquerade and divination, as well as customs for settling disputes and initiating young men and women into the community. Runs from 3.30-4.30pm.
- Check out the ongoing exhibition at the MIA. Outside Influences: Jack Lenor Larsen and African Aesthetics features an awesome fabric collection based on the designs, colors, and aesthetics of African cultures. It runs through January 25th 2009 in Gallery 279.
Enjoy Turkey Day peoples 🙂