This time round I’m going to be on time with this update. With the days getting shorter I’m sure there are some of you who’ll want to hibernate (like me) and then there are others who like to get out no matter what. Here’s a list of some going on around town this weekend.
- Josiah Rasugu and Sound of Fujun will host their monthly reggae and dancehall ‘Energize’ party at First Ave’s VIP room. 241 drinks special until midnight, Ladies free until 11p.m.
- Learn how to move your career into film, commercial, or television scoring and how to get your music featured in a commercial or television show on Saturday from 4 – 6pm at the Summit Brewery. Panel of industry experts includes “the Kings of the Jingle” Bob Hest and Steve Kramer of Hest & Kramer Music,award-winning producer/director, former Minnesota Film Board Executive Director, and current McNally Smith College of Music faculty member, Craig Rice, and Twin Cities-based musician/ film composer Chris Beaty. This event is hosted by MNartists and Summit.
- Ugandan Reggae/Dancehall artist, Ragga Dee will be in town giving a performance at 508 Snelling Ave North in St. Paul (above Ogiamen’s store) on Saturday. For more info contact 6515929234.
- Majuu Entertainment will be hosting their first ‘Crown the Dj’ competition at the Bedlam Theatre. The party starts at 9pm and goes til’ 2am. Tec Dj’s, Dj Kzelo, Dj Youngpro, Dj Zion and Dj Jimmy will be battling it out for the crown. Come cheer your favorite Dj. For more info call 9522123406.
- King Lion Sounds will also have a party on Saturday, MN Banjuka pt 2, at water view 2022 ferry street north Anoka, MN 55303 from 10 – 6am. Stevo Tha Dj frm Missouri along side Tec Djs and King Kevo will be playing a massive arsenal of reggae, dancehall, genge, soul, hiphop, r&b and the best african hits For more info call 9522508005.
- Another Saturday event, MN local dancehall dance crews will battle it out for cash prizes at the Red Sea party ‘Dem So Special‘ hosted by Trinny Cee. Karkell, Goodass, Galz, Dem Deh Kruw and BNG transformaz will be competing. Contact Trinny Cee for more info 6514722699.
- On Sunday, Emerging leaders in the Somali community and young organizers would like you to meet with Fatima Jibrell, who is co-founder of Horn Relief, a 2002 Goldman Enviromental prize winner and the prestigious 2008 National Geographic Society/Buffett Award for Conservation in Africa. She will speak about the current conditions in Somalia affecting women and youth, and the progress of the Laasqoray Jetty project. More info here.
- Check out the ongoing exhibition at the MIA. Outside Influences: Jack Lenor Larsen and African Aesthetics features an awesome fabric collection based on the designs, colors, and aesthetics of African cultures. It runs through January 25th 2009 in Gallery 279.
- On Sunday tour the MIA’s African gallery and discover objects for daily use and regalia fit for a king from the diverse continent of Africa. Learn about masquerade and divination, as well as customs for settling disputes and initiating young men and women into the community. Runs from 12-1pm.
I feel like I missed something … hmmmm… well that’s the list for now. If there’s anything you’d like to see on here. Let me know.
Cheers and enjoy your weekend!