Okay I screwed up. I was to send this out yesterday morning, but had a really busy day. Sorry folks, better late than never right? So if you are looking for something to do this weekend here’s what’s going on.
- West African Drum and Dance workshops featuring Djembefola Sekou Conde from Chicago, IL Saturday November 8, 2008 at Hospitality House (1220 Logan Ave N – Minneapolis)
3:30pm – African Drum workshop led by master drummer Sekou Conde
5:30pm – West African dance class taught by local artist Kenna Sarge and Sekou Conde
$12 per class, or $20 for both drums available for rental during class
pre-register or ask questions to Kenna at 612-418-1646
- Kilimanjaro Ent. Is hosting “Ndio tuliweza” (Yes we did) Obama Victory Bash at the Blue Nile tonight (Saturday).
- SeeTizi Ouzou at dreamland arts . It will be showing from November 7-9 and again from Nov 14-16, Fri – Sat at 7:30pm and Sun at 3:00pm.
When a young Algerian American woman travels to North Africa in search of her cultural roots, she meets a multitude of colorful and compelling characters grappling with their unique history and identity, and in the process she discovers her own heart. Set to the dynamic pulse of Berber and Algerian music, Tizi Ouzou is a story of love, struggle and awakening in the small city of Tizi Ouzou, the historically strife torn capital of the Berber Kabylia region of Algeria.
- The MIA (Minneapolis Institute of Arts) has an ongoing exhibition that you should check out. Outside Influences: Jack Lenor Larsen and African Aesthetics features an awesome fabric collection based on the designs, colors, and aesthetics of African cultures. It runs through January 25th 2009 in Gallery 279.
- On Sunday at The Lounge enjoy vibrations with Dj Hustla, a selection of the hottest Reggae and Dancehall music out there.
A pretty slim list this time, but lots of fun nonetheless, enjoy your weekend!