Is it just me or has this week just flown by? Not that I am complaining or anything of that sort, because I like my weekends. I can always sleep in or find something fun to do. Here’s a few suggestions for those that might want to step out and enjoy.
- Beginning 6:00pm, there will be a Happy Hour and rally for young (and young at heart) Professionals to get you Fired Up! And Ready to Go! at the Epic Event Center. You’ll get to rally with special guests Representative John Conyers of Michigan and Representative Keith Ellison. There will be music, spoken word, giveaways and a cash bar. Entry is free.
- Also there’s an exciting conference at the U of MN called “The Obama Effect”, which is discussing the compelling events and issues surrounding Obama’s campaign. On Saturday at 10:45am there’ll be a segment on African Journalists and Obama featuring former Mshale Editor, Edwin Okon’go and Cosmas Akuta. For more info click here.
- And a reminder that Ola Onabule, who was scheduled to perform at the Dakota Jazz Club and Restaurant this weekend, was unable to gain entry into the US and his shows have consequently been cancelled.
- Congo Week ends tomorrow on the 25th. I hope you have had a chance to educate yourself on what’s been going on there in addition to educating your peers. Please share your opinions with us.
- The Kom Community in Minnesota would like to invite you to their fundraising gala to be held at the Eritrean Community Center this Saturday. Djs Moki and Ayeah will be on the one-twos. For more info call Terrence at (952)356-4336.
- There’ll also be an East African party ‘MOTO‘ (swahili for ‘fire’) at Kilimanjaro Cafe this Saturday. Dj Xpect and guests will be playing the hottest East African jams alongside reggae, urban, old and new skool. For more info call (612)702-9802.
- Joe ‘Cape’ and Dj Pato will also be playing the best of Old School Jams at La Bodega in uptown on Saturday Night too. For more info call (612)282-6254.
- Another Saturday party! Faith Momanyi will be celebrating her birthday at the Coon Rapids City Hall and everyone is invited. It’s starts early -7:00pm and ends at 2:00am.
- The MIA (Minneapolis Institute of Arts) has an ongoing exhibition that you should check out. Outside Influences: Jack Lenor Larsen and African Aesthetics features an awesome fabric collection based on the designs, colors, and aesthetics of African cultures. It runs through January 25th 2009 in Gallery 279.
- You can also check out the African Art carts at the MIA on Saturday the 25th and Sunday the 26th from 2 – 4pm. They are usually located just outside the African gallery.
- 1st Cup Cafe at 2740 Minnehaha ave. S. Minneapolis, will set up an African Winter Art Gallery from this Sunday October 26th.
Another fun-packed weekend for you! Enjoy your weekend and keep us posted!